The whole World is severing with Football World Cup fever and my family is not any exception. Along with my husband, I am also a big fan of this exciting game, especially when it's World Cup, I have to watch all the matches. Finally, we are onto Semifinals and then Final match. Oh, I'm so excited to know who is going to win the final title, when all four are very deserving teams.
Football matches to watch and there is no munchies? That's not possible. My husband demands for some healthy snacks he can munch on while watching matches. So on demand, I thought of preparing some famous street-side snack of India, Samosa. Samosa is a deep-fried snack with outer covering made with flour and has a spicy filling(veg/non-veg). But I planned to bake them. I found one recipe on Tarla Dalal's website and followed it. The filling I made the way we bengalis make it. So love to share the recipe with you all...........
You Need :
For Outer Covering ::
Whole-wheat flour(atta) : 1 cup
Ghee : 1 tblsp.
Oil : 1 tblsp.
Salt : a pinch
Ajwain/Kalonji(black Cumin) : 1/2 tsp. (optional)
Ice cold water to knead the dough
For filling ::
Potato : 2, medium, boiled
Peanuts : 10, fried
Ginger : 1 tsp., finely chopped
Green Chillies : 2 , finely chopped
Cumin Seed : 1/4 tsp.
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp.
Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp.
Cumin Seed : 1 tsp. (dry roasted and powdered)
Oil : 1 tblsp.
Salt to taste
How To :
- Prepare the outer cover : Take flour in a bowl, add salt, ghee, oil and ajwain/kalonji(if using).
Mix well together. Then add ice cold water little by little in the dough and knead the flour together. Form a dough and keep aside covering with a wet towel.
- Prepare the filling : Boil the potatoes and cut into small pieces. Fry the peanuts in little oil, cool and peel the skin form the peanuts. Keep aside. Roast the cumin seeds on a tawa, when they turn light brown, remove, cool and grind into powder.Then heat oil in a pan, add 1.4 tsp. cumin seeds, when crackle add ginger and green chillies, immediately add potato pieces. Add turmeric, red chilli powder and roasted cumin seed powder. Season with salt. Add fried peanut pieces breaking into halves. Mix well everything and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove and cool a bit.
- Making Samosas : Divide the flour dough into lemon sized balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll the ball into a thin round disc for crispier samosas. Then cut the disc from middle. Take one half moon portion, apply little water on the edges, make a cone shape bringing the two corners together. Press and seal the edges. Take the cone between your fingers, stuff with filling into the middle portion. Again apply little more water on the top side and press and seal the edges. now it has become a triangular shaped Samosa. Press from top and make it sit on surface. make other samosas following the same way. It's not very hard once you understand the steps.
- Baking : preheat oven to 200 degree C and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the outer covering starts to change color.
- Accompaniment : Serve hot with tomato ketchup or Bengali kasundi( Mustard seed relish). You can also serve with mint and coriander chutney.