Post Top Ad

Monday, November 25, 2013

Punjabi Chicken Curry

It's almost end of November, can't believe another year is almost gone. My current city, Kolkata has not cooled down yet, but there is a chill in the air during early morning and evening time. During this time, what I crave for is warm soup and spicy food. And my crave for spicy food forced me to think of some spicy Chicken dish one Saturday evening. And when I crave spicy food, what cuisine I prefer, is my beloved Punjabi cuisine. To satisfy my cravings, I created a recipe combining two recipes I knew and made up a new one, which totally surprised me in a good way. The end result was not so spicy but finger-licking delicious and flavorful Punjabi chicken curry, which totally satisfied my spicy taste bud. So thought to write down my experimental recipe for my future reference before I forget and also share with you all at the same time.


The recipe follows like this.............

You Need :
Chicken : 500 gm. (cut into medium pieces)
Onion : 2(big), cut into thin slices
Ginger-garlic paste : 3 tblsp.(make a smooth paste of 2" ginger piece and 6-7 big garlic cloves)
Tomatoes : 2(big),  finely chopped
Turmeric powder : 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder : 2-3 tsp.(as per taste)
Coriander powder : 2 tsp.
Garam masala Powder : 2tsp.
Cashew Nut paste : 2 tblsp.
poppy seed paste : 1 tblsp.
Kasuri Methi(dried fenugreek leaves) : 2 tblsp.
Butter/Ghee(clarified/butter) : 1 tsp.(optional but recommended)
Salt to taste
Oil : 2-3 tblsp.

How To :
  • Cut chicken pieces in medium size pieces. Marinate them with 2 tblsp. ginger-garlic paste, 1 tblsp. kasuri methi and a pinch of salt. Keep aside for at least 1/2 an hour.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onion, saute till onions turn soft and brown. Add rest of the ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Saute for 1-2 minutes and then add marinated chicken pieces. Stir fry the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes. 
  • Now add turmeric powder, red chilli, coriander powder and mix well with chicken pieces. Then add cashew nut and poppy seed paste. Season with salt. Saute for 4-5 minutes or till oil seperates and spices are well cooked and mixed with chicken pieces.
  • Add just 3/4 cup of hot water and lower the heat and cover with a lid. When chicken are cooked and the gravy has nicely coated the chicken pieces, add garam masala powder and rest of the kasuri methi  and 1 tsp. ghee for flavour. Cook for another minute. 
  • Remove from heat and serve with naan/paratha or any Indian flatbread.




Monday, November 25, 2013 / by / 3 Comments

3 comments:

  1. Even I feel that this year has passed by so soon. And punjabi chicken curry looks simply delicious and mouthwatering. May be an apt meal for the New year party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah... looks lipsmacking... too good...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your valuable feedback. This means a lot to me...

Post Top Ad