This simply moist and soft looking cake is not like any other cake, it has no eggs or flour, so it is a healthier option than any regular cakes. The main ingredient of this cake is semolina or suji, which is a by-product of wheat. It's quick and very easy to make, need no elaborate preparation. I tried this for first time and became fan of it. Surprisingly, one of my kid who is a very choosy cake eater, he loved it so much and asking me every day to make it again. It can be a very healthy add-on in your kid's lunch box or as a after school snack.
You Need :
Semolina/Suji : 1 and 1/2 cup
Coconut : 1/2 cup or more
Sugar : 1 and 1/4 cup, powdered
Plain yogurt/dahi : 1 cup
Milk : 2/3 cup
Vegetable oil : 1/2 cup
Baking Soda : 1 tblsp.
Vanilla essence : 1 tblsp.
Assorted nuts : 1/2 cup chopped (walnuts, cashews or almonds) [optional]
How To :
- In a bowl, take sugar and yogurt. Stir to mix them so that sugar dissolves fully. Then add suji/semonlina, coconut, oil and all the other ingredients one at a time and mix properly. Do not overmix.
- Then set aside the bowl for at least an hour so that semolina can soak up all the moisture before baking.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Grease your baking pan with butter or oil and then pour the semolina mixture into the pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before you slice it.
- Can be a great accompaniment with evening tea/coffee.
Try this effortless cake at home and I guarantee you'll be hooked to it. I made twice in one week, that much addictive this cake is. Let me know whenever you try it...........